Pages

Monday, May 4, 2009

Maynard Wine Signing 3-23-09


I absolutely love Maynard James Keenan! TOOL is by far my favorite band, with A Perfect Circle as a close second. And we can't forget about Puscifer!
A coworker told me that Maynard was going to be doing a wine signing here in Texas, and I almost didn't believe him! I couldn't believe that now was my chance to meet Maynard! After some research, I found out that my coworker was in fact correct, and that Maynard was going to be signing bottles of his wine at a Whole Foods store. Score! So I had to go get my line placement ticket in the morning and then go back later in the afternoon for the actual signing. (I was #88) I met a girl in line who had been to the store the previous nite and was told that she couldn't purchase any of the wine, but if she came back the next day someone would discretely sell her a bottle of the coveted wine. I showed up at just the right time, because as soon as I got there we went right inside and got our wine early. I purchased a bottle of Merkin 2006 Chupacabra.
As soon as I puled up to the place, my heart dropped. I couldn't believe I was about to meet Maynard in the flesh! Since my new line buddy and I already had our wine purchased, we were allowed to go to the front of the line for the autograph. I was soo extremely nervous! It was a very controlled environment, with a closed off area that he was doing the signing in. I thought it was going to be like an assembly line, get your autograph and go. But I was pleasantly surprised when I walked around the corner and saw that it was a very intimate setting-just Maynard and I all by ourselves! (Well, and the wine-passer and the cop.) It was so strange, I walked in and Maynard was sitting down at a table and there was a guy that you hand your bottle to, then he hands it to Maynard to sign, then Maynard gives it back to the guy to give back to me. Damn, I didn't even get to touch him! He was wearing a black leather jacket, which really took me by surprise. He looked so sophisticated, I suppose it was a semi-sophisticated event. He didn't seem to enthused about the whole idea, but we all appreciated the fact that he took time out of his day just to make some fans happy.
When I got in front of him, I turned into a second grader. My heart was racing and my palms were all clamy! I had so many things that I wanted to say to him, but all I could manage to tell him was how nice it was to meet him. What a looser, I know! As I was looking at him, all of those lyrics that I hear on a daily basis that have helped me out in so many troubled times flodded my mind. It's ok, I firmly believe that we shall meet again, and next time I won't turn into a starstruck, lovesick blubbering fool! All in all, it was a fantastic once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Now I'm more than ready for this summer's TOOL tour...I cannot wait to see them again live!


http://www.caduceus.org/

2 comments:

  1. I had the same experience.. very controlled situation.. I wire wrapped one of his Corks from a previous bottle I drank. the security came up to me as i pulled it out of my pocket and took it.. I asked him if he accepts gifts and he said "Not usually" LOL so I have no idea if he kept it. It was still cool, he said thanks and i was on my way

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just picture security doing that...I was surprised at how controlled everything was. It's great that you still got to give that to him. And he said thanks...that makes it all worth while!

    ReplyDelete